Friday, January 6, 2012

What's the haps?

Bonne année et bonjour à tous!

Welcome to my blog, the 2012 months. La rentrée has been fairly calm and nice. Since it is now the bonne année, that means that bisous are now happening to me at school. Luckily, I have long since shed my bisou-angst. It's nice to see that people want to share bisous with me. I'll take from it that.

A couple days ago, I was en route to Lorient to return some late library books and walk around a lake with my friend S. The bus was pretty crowded and the last free seat was now the one next to me. An older South-Asian man starts walking down the aisle and looks mighty familiar. He looks a LOT like the man that served my friends and me at the restaurant Le Gandhi in Lorient. And he sits down and the bus goes on. I start wondering if he just looks familiar because frankly I don't see nearly as many brown people here as I did in college and so maybe there's something psychological going on. When the man next to me turns to me and says "Excusez-moi... do we know each other?"
Me: "Oh... do you work at Le Gandhi?"
Man: [laughing] oui! C'est ça! And you were with friends right? There were three of you?
...
And so on. We ended up talking about how he ended up in Lorient (kind of), as it seems like a strange destination for recent immigrants (in the past, it made a lot of sense, there's a reason Lorient is called Lorient). We parted ways, but I imagine I'll see him again at his restaurant. Then at the library I found out you don't pay fees for late books. Excellent. I will now never turn in anything on time (kidding, kidding...).

Breton and dance classes started back up this week and both with cider and snacks. In Breton, one of the other students brought a galette des rois and his home made cider. In the dance class, it was one of the instructors' birthdays and he brought a full apéro for after the class. Fun times to be had by all. Consensus from the dance class is that I should not leave France (this was not prompted by me). Aw shucks.

Today I am officially not applying to SLP programs for Fall 2012. It's admittedly scary to be heading away from that path right now, but it's the right decision for this year. In the meantime, I'm still trying to figure out whether to take the DALF at the C1 or the C2 level and looking at French programs for the next year.

Gros bisous,

MCJ

5 comments:

  1. Welcome back!!!

    I love bumping into people in France (except ex boyfriends), it makes me feel like I'm truly at home!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Miss MCJ,

    I changed my blog address and google is not redirecting it, would you kindly update your blogroll to the new one? :)

    http://www.ellacoquine.com/

    Merci d'avance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes ma'am! I've updated, but my blog doesn't seem to be reflecting the change just yet.... I'll try again soon if it doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What sort of French programs are you looking at for next year? I'm an assistant too and I'm trying to figure out my options for life after this program as well.

    ReplyDelete