Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Heading to Spain tonight

And now for a ramble:

As it is now the Tuesday after Easter (and a day when people are no longer 0ff-work, the exception being us with les vacances already), I am on the receiving end of a lot of rejection. I knew that a lot of replies would come from universities that only accept lectrices from other universities with whom they have an agreement, but it's still le suck to get them. Ah well, I will keep on keeping on (and my info will still be on file at those places if one of their agreed upon candidates dropped off). Okay, so, there have only been two rejections so far, but they were rejections from schools I was really hoping to work for.

Project for the Spain trip: writing a Masters application.

I feel positive still, however. Where there's a will, there's a way. Talking with EU friends can be a little maddening though. Their only concern is finding a job, they don't have to find a job that will sponsor a visa. I was speaking with one who was telling me to go to the pole emploi to look for a job "and then you can also apply for unemployment benefits!"
Me: "Uhhhh I'm pretty sure that's not possible, given I'm an American and once my visa is over I'm officially a tourist."
"Oh, right."

Life has been exceptionally great, however. Lots of celebrations, lots of meeting new people, lots of saying goodbye. Saying goodbye is not great, but discovering that these people you just met a half year ago care about you and want you to stay a part of their lives is great.

MCJ

5 comments:

  1. EU residents definitely don't get our situation. I remember telling a Spanish classmate I didn't have the right to work in France and she just gave me a big blank stare, "But why not???" - "Umm, because I'm American." "Oh, that's too bad. I guess being from a country in the EU has its benefits." YES, it does!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I can't even count the number of times I've had that conversation. Who knows, though, policies may be changing.

      Delete
  2. sorry, Mary. Safe travels and work hard on the applications--
    Love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep on going! Rejection letters are the pits but if I've learned anything this year, it's that everything happens for a reason and doors open when you least expect it. Hang in there...ça va s'arranger!

    Enjoy Spain and don't be too hard on yourself! : )

    ReplyDelete