Friday, May 4, 2012

Goodbyes

I had to stop by the primary school today to pick up a flashdrive I left behind, so I tried to show up a few minutes after school let out to minimize the amount of crazy I stirred up. I still managed to pass many students along the way and I suspect there are a lot of parents that now know who that Mais-oui character is. I'm gonna miss hearing "AH! YAH MAIOUI!" English r's are super hard for French kiddos. The few students still in the school courtyard literally chased me down (as I ran after one of the student-life assistants myself to give them something back) and demanded bisous. No longer being an employee of the académie de Rennes, I complied and received bonbons and more bisous for my pains. I'm going to miss them.

With that in mind, I thought I'd share some of my favorite student notes (there's good chance I'll share even more as time goes on. I haven't gotten through them all yet.....) :

From a CM1 (a 9/10 year old), unprompted and all on her own (I love my job):

Mary, I loved doing English with you, you were very smily and you taught us many things. And to help us learn, you had us play games. We had a lot of fun with you. I thank you very much for everything. To have you with us was too great. I hope that we weren't too difficult with you. (As if, you were all angels, angels, I tell ya!)
Thank you for everything. 
I adore you Mary. 
Thank you very much. 
From (student)
I adore you.
(British flag) (Breton flag) (student name) (My students were never too clear on the fact I'm not English. I probably should have done more drilling on how, though I speak English, I am not in fact English.)

From a 4ème (in fact, from the good half of my worst class):
(English parts I think you can read)
I will miss you!
(est-ce que tu baise[s]?) <-- I'm not translating that here, but don't worry, google will translate it for you. Yeah. A student wrote that. OH KIDS..... This class is the one that has a kid "amoureux" de moi. (Edit: It looks like that might be some sort of cultural thing. There was a Ze Inconnus sketch called that... but it was about picking up chicks, from what the quick google description tells me. My connection is pretty slow, so it'll be a while before I can fully check up on this. Feel free to tell me if you know.)


 From a CM1/2 in the class that had a farewell party for me. I was depicted as the statue of liberty in a lot of these images....:
 Statue of liberty: There are skyscrapers that make the letters of my name! And people that say they will miss me!
Crowd: You will be welcome... in FRANCE! 
Oh SNAP! kiddos, I see what you did there. I love y'all. There are little people on all the buildings that have signs spelling out "we will miss you."

From the same class:
You were my best English mistress. (hehehehe, in France, primary school teachers are called Maître/Maîtresse)
When you leave, my heart will hurt. Thank you for everything. 


Thank you for the English. (I just really, really liked this picture.)

BEST THING EVER: THE SONG MY CM1/2s WROTE AND SANG FOR ME. Sung to "We Will Rock You." I'm sorry I didn't record it. So very, very sorry. It was really frickin' adorable.:
(In case it's not legible....:

Mary you're a girl make a good job
Teaching in the class gonna be a big girl some day
Can have a smile on your face
There's no disgrace
We speak English all over the place


We all, we all thank you
We all, we all thank you


Mary you're a young girl, good girl
Being under your feet, we give you our word today
Don't have tears on your face
There's no disgrace
Giving us fun all over the place


We will, we will miss you
We all, we all love you)

Okay. I'm gonna get back to packing and not thinking about how much I'm going to miss all the people here.

OH ALSO, any future assistants that may find themselves here, don't hesitate to contact me with any questions. :)

7 comments:

  1. I think my heart just imploded from how sweet these were. MAIOUIIIIIIIIII!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a good chance I will be carrying these with me everywhere for the rest of my life. Okay. Gonna go back to not thinking about leaving these kids.

      Delete
  2. No matter how hard I try, my handwriting will never be as cool as the French's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely send off!! I just got a little misty-eyed and it's not even my experience! It's yours! So I can only imagine how you are feeling. :*)

    So what's next on the agenda Miss, MCJ? You're not heading back to the States are you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaaw :)

      Well, I am headed back to the States for the summer, but I will be back in the fall! Or, at least, that's my plan. We'll see what France has to say. I'm in Paris for the week (until next Monday) so if you see me around, please stop me to say hello! :)

      Delete