Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Teasers from les vacances

During vacances I:
visited Brussels, Bruges, Antwerp, Ghent, Mechelen (Belgium) and Quimper
had lunch with a friend in Paris
saw plain clothes police officers pull out guns on a car thief
ate delicious Pho
ate delicious Indian food
ate fries and waffles
drank beer
saw many a musée
saw many a closed sign at many a musée
slept
made hostel friends
learned card games
did not get frostbite (because I)
bought gloves
celebrated a dear friend's birthday
discovered where France hides all its Disney princess birthday magic
wrote poetry
won.

Explanations and pictures to (eventually) follow.

2 comments:

  1. What was your favorite city of the trip and how cold was it? I was so glad to finally feel sunshine and warmth during the winter break, I'm not sure if I'll want to go north next year even though I'm dying to visit Belgium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite city was, much to my surprise, Ghent. We only chose to go there because our hostel was on a boat (it's called the ecohostel and I heartily recommend it, it's an experience haha).
      It was so cold! One day the low was -12°Celsius. Some of the places we wanted to visit in Brussels were actually closed due to the exceptional cold. I would definitely recommend Belgium NOT during the winter. It seems much more geared up for summer tourism (then again, where isn't?). Lots of things were closed for the winter. It was still lovely and there was plenty to see. :)

      Next winter break I will definitely either be going south or buying a warmer coat... and gloves... and a hat... and better boots.

      Delete