Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!!!!

The candy bowl, post-trick or treaters. Yeah, you read that right. 

Starting a couple weeks ago, my Leclerc put out bags of candy at the front. Could it be? Bonbons for a Strasbourg Halloween? I got really excited until I remembered that I would probably not be in town for Halloween, given that Halloween naturally falls during the Toussaint vacation (when I had planned to be visiting friends elsewhere).

Well, plans get made and then plans change. Last minute, I had to change my travel schedule and that change meant I could no longer afford the Ryanair flights to take me to the UK. That sucked, but it was probably for the best because: (1) the generous, sharing child that I babysit passed on his fever/malady and it hit in full force the first day of Toussaint, (2) I saved money, (3) I got to see GORGEOUS snow in Strasbourg and (4) (probably the most important) it has given me time to work on a bunch of school things I'd been putting off. We're now past the halfway point of the semester and I'm probably quite a bit further behind on my reading than I care to admit (it doesn't help that every time I read the reading for a class on time, the professor acts under the assumption that no one has read it yet. It's confusing).

I also got to babysit today. Knowing that I'd be babysitting on Halloween, I decided I would buy some candy and a little extra, just in case there were trick or treaters. Babysitting was a lot of fun (I should write more about that at some point, but nothing is certain with me and getting things posted). Just fyi, the kid would be batman for Halloween if he ever did Halloween. And apparently he could've.

Tonight around 7:30pm, I had begun to despair that any trick or treaters would come. I knew from last year, that sometimes the trick or treaters here (and they are not a common occurrence) go into open businesses to ask for candy. I put out the bowl seen above by the front door for my flatmates when they would get back from work/Toussaint. I was a little sad, but not too sad, because on my way home I saw the great sapin de Noël (Christmas tree) of Strasbourg getting put up in Place Kléber. Screw Halloween, it's already Christmas time in la capitale de Noël (the capital of Christmas). Seriously, next to the paltry display of possible Halloween candy were a bajillion advent calendars and the start of a little Christmas toy section.

Le sapin de Noël

So, anyway, I was prepped for a lack of Halloween on my street. A little after giving up, I heard voices in the street. Children's voices. Could it be? Charlie Brown and Linus, could it BE? So when out on the street there arose such a clatter, that I sprang from my desk to see what was the matter! Away to the window I flew like a flash, Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash. 

And what did I see? The most beautiful sight of all (okay, not really), children dressed up for Halloween. Sadly, they were down the street and walking the wrong direction. So I felt sad again, now convinced that all the children were just going to centre-ville to trick or treat there. Just in case, though, I left my window open. 

After messaging a friend that I thought I had missed my opportunity to give out candy, I heard voices anew! I looked out the window and, sure enough, there were dressed up kids leaving next door! So I ran to mine.  Opening the door, I was greeted with a "BONSOIR!" TRICK OR TREATERS! I was so pleased. After that, there was only another group. But I didn't really care, I was just so happy to help French kids have a Halloween somewhat similar to those of my childhood. 

Since it's 9:20pm now, I'm guessing the trick or treating is over. Ah well. It was fun while it lasted. Now, back to work. 

Bisous, mes amis, and a VERY happy Halloween to you all!!!

MCJ

No comments:

Post a Comment