Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pictures from Bordeaux

So early morning the first Monday of the Toussaint break, I left for lunch in Paris. Regrettably, in the one tiny stretch of the walk between chez moi and the bus stop, I did not take out my flashlight. It was at this point that I tripped on... something? Probably just my own feet. In any case, I skinned my knee (and ripped the jeans that should have been protecting me) and sprained my foot and possibly ankle. I didn't reallyyy notice this last part until I got off the bus. But being me I decided to push on (and I'm glad I did). In Paris, I had lunch with one of my all time favorite professors at a really lovely place (after literally hobbling across the street from the train station to the monoprix to pick up something to wrap my foot/ankle with).

After this, I had to decide whether to hobble on to Bordeaux or to take the next train back to Lorient. It seemed like a shame not to go to Bordeaux so on I went! I passed the train ride with a pleasant enough grandfather who explained all the different agricultures seen on the way. By asking for the name of hay bales in French I think I might have given him the impression that they don't exist in the US. Whoops. He lives in a Paris suburb now, but was raised in the Bordeaux region where he still keeps a house. And, for Toussaint, he was taking some of his grandkids to said house. I got to meet them too. Very cute. Less cute was some of the xenophobic statements that were peppered in when discussing immigration. Even more so due to the fact we were sharing the cabin with two people who were pretty clearly immigrants who spoke French. Whoops. They just continued on with their conversation and I tried to change the subject... but it came up a lot.

And then, Bordeaux. Ah, Bordeaux with three exceptionally wonderful fellow English assistants (hello! if you find your way here :) ). They were incredibly understanding of my need for less speed and more hobbling and sitting. I appreciated that immensely. Like, for reals, y'all were the best. Also, we got Thai food for dinner that was actually legit. What's not to love about that?

So my time in Bordeaux was very lovely, if a little drizzly. It didn't transform me into a connaisseuse of wine, but ehhh, I enjoyed what I had:


At a wine museum, interesting stuff. It was followed by a tasting (dégustation) that was slightly less than impressive. On the other hand, we accidentally made the anglophone worker there speak to us in French the whole time.... It was a little awkard on both sides.

Impressive wine barrel

!
Hello, welcome to Bordeaux, look at our impressive array of wine. Next stop, Bordrunk. (I kid, I kid, even though some of us have very low tolerances.)


The Hôtel de Ville, note the rain



Bordeaux at night, a really lovely contrast between sky and shopping. I bet they do gorgeous things with Christmas lights too.


Bisous (more to come, I promise, Dr. LesMis)

MCJ



1 comment: