Sunday, September 23, 2012

Burrrrrritos

There are a lot of things I could be writing about, but I think I'll just write about last night.

A couple weeks ago, I went to Paris to visit a friend living there and a friend that was there for a conference. Prior to leaving, I was speaking with flatmates B (French) and N (Brit) and mentioned that I was really excited to go and try out the first ever Chipotle in France (because, my goodness, burritos!). N was like, "I LOVE Chipotle!" MCJ: "Do you want me to bring you back a burrito?" And B asked what a burrito was. So I decided to bring back Chipotle burritos.

(1) The Chipotle in Paris is a beautiful place. If I were ever to get homesick, I would go there. It looks and smells like every Chipotle ever only its view is excellent for Parisian people watching.
(2) Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Discovery: burritos are even good heated back up.

B really liked his burrito so it was decided we would make burritos (okay, N and I made burritos). The Brits didn't know how easy tortillas were to make (even though I messed them up and N was a lot more gifted at rolling them out into circles). Making tortillas is about a seventh of the price of buying them here, if that.

Ingredients (minus the flour/olive oil/salt/water) 
The cilantro was hunted down for 0,50€ at an Asian supermarket alongside some unnamed hot peppers, black beans and dried hot chili peppers. I love the Asian supermarket. 

The haul. Black beans, chicken, chili tortilla chips, bell peppers & red onions, guacamole (freshly made!), grated cheddar, salsa, cilantro lime rice, beef and (obviously) home made tortillas. To drink: water, cidre doux and apple juice in a cider bottle. 

We had a LOT of leftovers. I think I know what I'll be eating the next few days. 


And then, N, after realizing how easy tortillas are to make, decided to try making churros!

BEST CHOICE EVER. Deep frying. Oh my. 

We were super stuffed but still each managed to have one, except for B who had two burritos despite stomach protests. [B even had a burrito with Brie. Seriously. At first he only claimed it was "mangeable," but later upgraded it to "trop bon!" He's French. ]  The churros were so good (I definitely recommend swapping out a little of the sugar for vanilla sugar -- available in every French grocery store ever). 

Clean up time. 


For recipes:
Tortilla (not the same as I used before and I just used rough amounts: ~1c flour, some shakes of salt mixed together then stir in three spoons of olive oil and ~3/4c water)
Chicken/Steak marinade (a spoon of oil, I used olive, chopped garlic clove, 1/4 a chopped small red onion, chopped cilantro, cumin powder, oregano, black pepper)
Bell pepper + red onions (chop 'em and sauté 'em maybe with some seasoning, your call)
Cilantro lime rice (make rice -- I used brown--, stir in lime juice a little lemon if you have it and chopped cilantro)
Guacamole (except we used a little of the mystery, hella spicy pepper we found at the Asian market)
Extra pepper and red onions were stirred into the store bought salsa. 
Black beans (rinse 'em, and put 'em in a pot with new water, some spices along your choosing. 



3 comments:

  1. Hey MCJ!

    Yes, I (still) stalk your blog. And I love pretty much everything about this post. If I had to choose one thing, I guess it would be the burrito with brie, and the fact that it was merely "mangeable." SO French.

    Hope Strasbourg is great and all that jazz. Looking forward to more posts!

    -Lia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)

      Sometimes it cracks me up how French French people are. I can just sit around listening to French people talking and every time it cuts across my mind "these French people have no idea how very French they're being right now." Because they really, really don't.

      Delete