Monday, September 12, 2011

Drunk Pasta

A few months ago, I read a small reference to pasta risotto. The person linked to an article and video by Mark Bittman on how to prepare pasta like risotto. I had never heard of pasta risotto, but it intrigued me so I bookmarked it. Though it intrigued me, it was apparently not enough to ever get me watch the video. Yesterday, in trying to think of stovetop-only recipes, I recalled the article. I pulled it up and watched the video.

Let me tell you, this was the best idea I've had since deciding to apply for TAPIF. Everything about it made me feel wonderful. The scents recall long ago soups and Thanksgivings (granted, this greatly depends on what you put in the pasta risotto). I was so pleased with the result. From the first ingredients going into the pot, I could smell the deliciousness soaking in. Without further ado, here is the (very, very loose) recipe of my Drunk Pasta:

Loosely dice/chop:

  • 2 white onions
  • 4 stalks of celery (~1 cup, I would guess)
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 tomato
  • a few cloves of garlic

Heat a couple tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a wide, deep pot.

Add in the onions, celery and garlic.


Enjoy the aromas for three minutes.

Add a generous amount of white wine (hence, the drunk bit... I honestly can't say how much I put in, but at least a cup. This can be substituted with water.).

I will admit I used more wine than I might have in trying to take a picture of it. No regrets.


Add in your pasta (I used linguini, broken into short pieces).

Once the pasta is "glossy," add in the bell pepper and a half cup of chicken stock.


Continue to add in chicken stock little by little bit (allowing the pasta to soak in the liquids. I used 10 oz of chicken stock and could have used more or less).

Stir in spinach and chopped tomatoes.



Chop up chicken breasts (I used three).

Once the pasta is mostly soaked in, stir in the chopped chicken.


Cook (and stir) until no pink remains on the chicken.

Serve and enjoy.


Yum.

All gone.

Serves four generously. Leaves your home smelling like, well, home.

No comments:

Post a Comment