Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Peach Chicken Tacos

I've been slowly preparing for my move to France. I've been going through my things, trying to get a few more key cold-weather pieces and staring confusedly at my suitcase. It's smaller than I remember, a lot smaller. Luckily, I enjoy the challenge of packing lightly. Two of the big things I've been thinking about is also: what to introduce my students to about my two home states of Kentucky and Texas and what to give to my contact teachers as representation of these places. With that in mind, it's quite understandable that I would be craving some Tex-Mex. It also just so happens that a lot of Tex-Mex can be made with just a stovetop... or hotplates.

So today, I attempted making tacos (including the tortillas) from scratch. Due to not wanting to buy new groceries, they were somewhat non-traditional but delicious nonetheless. Aside from skimping a bit on the flour for the tortilla dough, they were a success. They also could have used rice to cut through the sweetness of the peaches and tomatoes. Next time....

I used the following two recipes as a basis for this meal:
Flour Tortillas from the Homesick Texan (I followed this recipe exactly, aside from halving it and making smaller tortillas.)
Shredded Chicken for Tacos by Mark Bittman (He has quite a few more taco filling recipes here.)


Peach Chicken Tacos

Yields 2 smaller servings (I would recommend making rice if you're serving this to others)
(I'm not posting a recipe list as this is very open-ended to what you're craving/have on hand. For recommendations to get you started, check out the links above). [Now with suggested changes from 14 Sept.]

1. Slice up one peach
2. Season a chicken breast with cayenne pepper, chili powder, black pepper, cajun seasoning and sea salt. 
3. Place chicken breast and peaches in a plastic bag or aluminum foil, seal up and place in fridge. 



4. Prepare tortilla dough. See recipe. My only note on this is, if after kneading it seems too sticky, you need more dough. [A 2:1 ratio of white:whole wheat turns out well.]

5. Chop up yellow onion, garlic, tomato [green and red bell pepper] and chili pepper (to the amounts you desire, I used 1 onion, 3 cloves garlic and ~6 oz of canned tomato and chili pepper... didn't have enough fresh tomatoes on hand). 




6. In a medium-sized sauce pan, sautée onions and garlic in a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil. [Shortly after, add in bell peppers.]
7. Form tortilla dough into small balls. See recipe
8. Add in tomato, chili pepper, chicken breast and peaches into the sauce pan.  Add water so that the chicken is barely submerged. Top with bay leaves
9. Bring mixture to a boil then let simmer. 


10. Roll out tortilla dough and cook in dry skillet. See recipe



11. After ~30 minutes once the chicken is tender, use two forks to shred the chicken. 
12. Turn off the heat and drain out most of the liquid. 
13. Place the peach chicken filling on the tortilla and enjoy!


Also thinking of Texas as another fire has broken out, this time right outside of Houston: http://www.click2houston.com/news/29173094/detail.html

4 comments:

  1. This looks delish! Peach, chicken and tacos! Who knew? I've actually been looking for a taco recipe. (You'll soon be craving goodies like this once you get here!)I'll try it out next week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried it again tonight (since I went out and got bell peppers). It's even better that way! Definitely more authentic haha. The peaches are really there for the chicken, the peach flavor is increeeedibly subtle as they mostly take on the flavor of the spices.
    Let me know how it goes!!

    Also, the tortillas turn out really well even if you substitute out some of the flour for whole wheat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks sooooooooo good. You need to make it when you actually come back to the Best State Ever.

    ReplyDelete