Wednesday, September 28, 2011

On dit toujours bonjour

Bonjour à tous!

My first day in France was really wonderful. Even with all the
difficulties from my bags (one
rolling suitcase, one carryon duffle and a backpack -- together they
did not appear to be
much but I apparently just have exceptionally heavy belongings), I
loved the traveling. In
the second train (from Le Mans to Lorient), there wasnʼt any space for
my luggage in my
coach and there was an older lady sitting in my seat. As the train was
about to start, I
decided to leave my bags in the entry way (outside of the path of
people) and sit in one of
the seats there (those have no reservation -- theyʼre really intended
for people who step
out to take phone calls and such). If there was a problem with this, I
knew that the
comptroller would tell me. After some time, a woman came and asked
what the number of
the coach was. I told her "20." Evidently, she had been looking for
her seat and it didnʼt
exist in that coach. So, she sat down with me and we began to talk. We
were there
together for two hours and we talked about politics (American and
French and EU),
traveling and many other things. I explained Ricky Perry to her
multiple times (we spoke a
lot about Texas, religion in the US and executions in the US, he just
naturally came up a
lot). She got off before me but perhaps I will see her again when I go
to her city.
When I got off, the other descenders began to ask me about myself and gave me a
"Breton welcome" (they carried my bags). My contact teacher, C, was
waiting on the
platform for me. Apparently I really looked beat because she suggested
we stop by a café
before heading to the collège. We both had Perriers, to my surprise I
actually enjoyed the
carbonated water. New things everyday!

At the collège, I met a lot a lot a lot of people. I donʼt remember
many of the names, but
luckily I do remember those of the principal, vice principal (he and
his wife are my
neighbors!) and gestionnaire (who is in charge of my apartment). We
collected the key
from the gestionnaire and headed over. So... my room! It is on the
small side, but not
claustrophobic. Furniture-wise, thereʼs a bed (with sheets and
pillow), giant shelves,
cushioned chair, desk and desk chair, food cabinet (with all the
utensils and fooood), dish
cabinet (complete with dishes and pots and pans), fridge, microwave
and hotplates. The
studio has its own bathroom (with a bath, not a shower) and a hot
water closet (with
cleaning products which I have actually used. yay!). It is a very
comfortable room and now
that Iʼve organized my things in it and put up pictures, Iʼm very happy with it.
So at this point I had not eaten since the plane. Whoops. Luckily the
collège had left me
with food (they are some of the greatest people). Iʼm not going to
lie, my first meal in
France was not particularly glamorous and it was suspiciously like my
last meal in the
states... a sandwich. Ah well, I was tired and hungry. Then I
apparently passed out while
writing an email.

Today (being Tuesday), C and I went to the bank to open an account. I
decided to try
Crédit Agricole first. The teller we met with was so nice and helpful
and I have my official
appointment to open an account with her on Wednesday. In an unexpected
way, I am looking forward to it. Following that, she kindly took me
shopping so I could buy heavy things. Most importantly, so I could buy
my 2 liter water bottles. It would seem in France one doesn't drink
tap water even at home. Luckily because of this six packs of 2L water
bottles are fairly cheap. Then we went to the boulangerie so I could
finally get my French baguette. I got a demi of the house speciality
(the something Gana), that is made completely by hand. It was very
good with hummus later.

Earlier that day, three workers came by to bring me a microwave, a
wash basin for the dishes and dish towels. I managed to embarass
myself by taking a few dozen tries to open the door. They didn't laugh
at me. Such nice people. They only asked if the dish towels were okay.
I really can't get over how incredibly nice and welcoming everyone has
been.

As I don't start work until Monday I am "en vacances." There was a
teacher strike yesterday (Tuesday) and some of the teachers were
amused when I came to the school when I am not even working yet; How
very French, they said, to come when not working to school during a
strike. And yes, I know you were wondering, the middle school students
do also go on strike.

I seem to be having trouble in uploading my pics so those might have
to wait until I have internet on my phone. Tant pis.

For today: setting up the bank account, buying a bus pass, figuring
out the busses to Lorient and taking pictures of Quéven. Also,
mastering the French keyboard. Tomorrow: figuring out my schedule at
the collège, finally hearing what they expect of me and meeting
someone from the elementary school.

à plus tard

MCJ

3 comments:

  1. aha one picture loaded! that is the cdg gare
    I took pictures of queven and will try tomorrow to upload (wednesdays school lets out around noon)
    also i forgot tosay that queven not only has recycling but also composting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The french keyboard is a pain but you'll get used to it. Finding "@" always gets me!

    It sounds like you've had a productive first day in France, you've gotten so much done! Bravo!

    ...and welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merci Ella! Haha the @ took me a good five minutes to figure out. Luckily eventually I had gone through all the wrong iterations and learned it. France has been very good to me so far.

    ReplyDelete